Ok, so I know I promised a soon to follow tutorial to make this a couple weeks back, but my 9yr old brother in law came to stay for the week, and he was a lot harder to deal with than I anticipated. Anyway, today he is gone, so today I bring you that much belated tutorial.
First off, preparation. For this model you will need one Tau Piranha and one Space Marine Bike. I also used an Imperial Guard Heavy Bolter, and a couple of IG Sentinal Missile Launchers. Neither of these are necessary, you can use the weapons provided by the piranha quite well, I just wanted different weapon systems for the build I'm doing.
Of course, you won't need all the bitz from the bike and Piranha, just the bitz shown below.
A few of these bits had to be trimmed/filed down some. The space marine legs had to be shaved back to be level with the knee (use the piranha body as a guide to how narrow they need to be) which looks a little odd but will be hidden by the model. I trim the parts off the bike designed to hold wheels (for obvious reasons) and I adapted the guns to hold the heavy bolter. I also have some magnets I got from ebay that I will use to make my missile launchers removable - again, this bit is entirely optional. I then proceeded to glue any obvious halves together (bike, space marine body, missile launchers...) I also shaved the tau iconography off the shoulder pads, and trimmed the marine backpack mounting from the marine rear body. The results are below.
I plan to glue the drones in place as part of the chassis, so was able to use them as my missile launcher mounts. With this in mind, I glued magnets in the hole normally reserved for the flying base.
With preparation complete, it was on to assembly. To start, I glued the sides and back piece to the piranha body.
Next came the tricky stage. I put the legs in from underneath, then hooked the saddle under them while bringing the bike in from above. I then put glue on the piranha floor piece, and brought it up from beneath. A little glue dribbled down the inside of the body where the legs are flush against it will hold your man in place quite well. I then glued the body and arms in place before the glue was dry on the legs, in case I needed to reposition them slightly. This is the tricky bit with any biker though, not just this project! :oP
I then took one of the heads bought especially for this project, from pig iron productions. This doesn't fit perfectly in the space marine collar, so a small dab of green stuff needs to go in for this to sit in. I then tidy the green stuff around the edges.
I added the Tau backpack and shoulder pads to the marine body. I plan to do the same thing for the rest of the marines (spartans) in this project :o)
I then secured my gun in place in it's mounting. I then dry fit the wings, as I would have to trim these just a little to get round the gun mounting. In the second image below, the wing on the right has already been trimmed - not much needs be removed.
Next I glued the drones in place as missile launcher holders. Finally, I cut some plasticard to fill the back of the cockpit (where the second Tau would normally sit) You'll need to put a piece in the top and on the rear. I recommend doing the top first, as this lets you poke a file in the rear to help you get the positioning right (a mistake I made with the prototype, but managed to salvage well enough!)
The other mistake I made with the prototype was to glue the flying base stand piece to the ghost... BEFORE I undercoated it. So one of my ghosts will have a black tipped stand, but the other I will definitely do clear. Here's a final few shots of the model.
Blog Update- Upcoming Events and Posts
8 hours ago