Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Magnets and Modelling

I recently aquired some miniature magnets (about 2mm by 1mm circular magnets) for use with my modelling projects. The first thing to apply it to was the new sentinal I ordered with my codex (the original target with all those tasty weapon options on the sprue) Putting the sentinal together I discovered the magnets would be perfectly sized for the new sentinal weapon options. They also appear small enough for me to make the top cap removable so I can choose the armoured or scout varient sentinal from game to game. I am trying to use these magnets to add flexibility to my models in future (as the recent trend from loving side sponsons, to hating side sponsons, to loving them again but oh god why did I put a lascannon in the hull has taught me, GW like to keep you on your toes.) Oh, in case you were wondering, the reason I can change the roof is that I never really liked the wire frame roof of the open topped sentinal, and have always favoured my topless Catachan conversion. Future scout sentinals will be following this lead (including some old ones I'm gonna fit up with multilasers, I have plenty of heavy flamer variants already.)

The new kit is fantastic and I look forward to getting the model undercoated and the magnets applied. I will then see how they look before carefully painting the models.

It was upon completing this (at least as far as undercoating stage - personally I keep the pilot out and the legs, and in this case weapons, seperate for painting) I thought about other applications of these wonderful magnets. Another model I wanted to have lots of versatility with (especially considering the price) was the Ork battle wagon. Chiefly, the roof fixtures, so I could have them open topped, close topped, and armed with a variety of weapons. So I started to assemble my first battle wagon.

Something you don't realise going in, is how intricate these models are. Orks are very ramshackle. Which gives the painter a major disadvantage against Imperials. Imperial vehicles are very boxy. Very square. You tend to see just the outside, and on the odd occassions you have interior detail, it isn't too hard to get to by simple part assembly and later completion. The Ork Battlewagon on the other hand, is ramshackle. From one side you can see to the other. There are wheels, tracks, engine bits and gubbins everywhere, plus the hull being festooned with a frankly mahoosive (yes, that is now a real word) ram that all get in the way of painting. Thus you have to do a fair amount of assembly, then paint, then assemble some more. I stuck most of it together last night, and it looks like I am going to have 20 seperate parts to undercoat when I start that model. That doesn't include the individual segments of track guard. That's phenomenal. I can reassure myself to a certain degree that a base colour of black and some metallic detail will suffice for the parts that will inevitably be hidden, but it still feels like a hell of a task. Especially compared to my Baneblades, which are typically Demo Cannon (Black and it's done) Turret, and three smaller turrets, and the tank itself. 6 pieces.

Annoyingly, as I got to the end of the model I couldn't see an easy place to put my magnets to secure the roof in game. I may end up relying on luck and balance like another Ork player after all. But I had spent a lot of time glueing, so maybe taking a fresh look with a clear head will see me find a way forward.

Next up for the magnets, can I make Imperial heavy weapons interchangeable on the limited bases they give you. And get me more sentinals, they at least look like they're gonna work. Plus I always loved that model.

No comments:

Post a Comment